Sea Hawk Paints is an international specialty marine coatings company and they wanted to reach a broader audience worldwide. Sea Hawk came to Farmore Marketing looking for a way to increase their presence on their social media channels and grow their following on Facebook.
Expanding Sea Hawk's Facebook Audience
Farmore wanted to expand the Sea Hawk’s brand identity to the boating community on Facebook. In order to do this, we decided to run a series of Facebook giveaway contests that encouraged targeted Facebook members to Like Sea Hawk’s company page.
We first brainstormed what types of prizes would incentivize Sea Hawk fans to participate in a Facebook contest. Once we decided YETI products were an optimal prize, we then chose a specific demographic using Facebook’s targeting to pinpoint people who were interested in boating, owned boats, fishing and being out on the water.
The overall goal of the contests was to boost numbers, but also run quality contests.
So, we decided to run a series of contests that encouraged users to like Sea Hawks’ company Facebook page and share a post for the opportunity to win a variety of YETI products.
We boosted the initial post to increase awareness and exposure of the contest, and in-turn generate more participation. Then boosted again after a few weeks to re-generate some buzz about the contest.
Along with the advertising boost to each contest, we put in a large organic effort to increase the exposure of each contest. Our organic efforts consisted of:
- Posting the contest link on Facebook company pages in which Sea Hawk does business with
- Posting the contest link on relevant boating and fishing Facebook pages
- Sending an email to Sea Hawk’s suppliers/retailers and encouraging them to share the contest with their fans
- Commenting on the Facebook contest to remind contestants to share the post
- Liking people who commented on the contest post
Maintaining An Engaged Following By Creating Memorable & Relatable Content
To maintain the attention of Sea Hawk's growing audience on Facebook, we have consistently created content that will engage our followers. Since we have targeted Facebook users that are interested in Sea Hawk Paints, boating, fishing and water activities, it allowed us to create content that was geared toward the boating lifestyle. We created videos that featured Sea Hawk's product line, lifestyle & brand videos and more that peaked the interest of Sea Hawk's followers.
Page likes before farmore Marketing:
824 Page Likes
Current Page likes:
7,179 Page Likes
Things we learned
- Facebook’s 20% text on advertising rule can significantly affect the potential reach of a paid ad.
- We didn’t experience a drastic amount of “Unlikes” after the contests were over. Almost all of the people we added to the page stayed loyal to the page and engaged in posts.
- Asking contestants to share the contest post added a bigger reach than projected compared to asking contestants to tag friends on the post.